Poetry Blog

Click here to go to my poetry blog.

Regular Blog

Click here to go to my regular blog.

Monday, May 10, 2010

A Day in the Life of Patrick

Author's Note: This piece is from experiencing so much doubt in the world as we know it. I see it all around now I can pronounce what and when I see doubt. What I feel when I am in doubt or when I see a person in doubt. What I see is more of an inspiration to write this piece and not as much what I see is what I am writing about. Hope you enjoy the piece!

I look outside on a rainy, cold Monday morning. I think to myself, what is the point in life? Is there one? Why am I on this earth? Every day is a struggle. I pull myself out of bed and wind myself up for the day. Nothing is nice. Nothing is good. The world is black whole that sits and stares and laughs at me. Another day in my life. Another struggle. Another doubt of what good will happen.

"Patrick," my mother cries. "Breakfast is ready." "Coming," I say with a moan and groan. I am Patrick McCoy a 12 year old boy that lives in Gernie, Illinois. It's another day of school. Another day of doubt. I can barely make it down the stairs without thinking, what good does the world do? I sit down at the dining room table slowly eat my cereal and slowly go to the bus stop. What do you know. Bruce is waiting for me at the corner. "Hey pee-wee!" Bruce shouts. "First day of kindergarten I see." Although I would like to just walk back to my house, I know that is not an option now. Bruce is the school bully and also the strongest guy in Woodland Middle School. As I walk to the bus stop, I take a quick glimpse up and the bus is sitting at the end of my street about 20 yards away. I start to run and just as I am about to get on, the bus takes off and splashes water all over me. Another typical beginning to the life in the day of Patrick.

Now that I am at school, I luckily make it through the first three classes of the day without any trouble. That all comes to an abrupt stop as I walk to my locker and I meet none other than James, the football team's top quarterback and the rest of the team. They take my glasses and pin me against my locker. I plea for them to let me go but they just keep on pushing me and shoving until luckily Mr. Mays tells them to back off and I am set free, for the moment. I make it through the next class with only a kick on the legs and a punch to my right arm. Now time for lunch. I get my lunch, eat, and as I am going to dump my tray, Bruce shoves me into the garbage and him and his friends dump their fully loaded trays all over me. As I walk to the office to get a new set of clothes, I get a chant of "Loser, loser, loser," from all down the hall.

I make it to the principle's office and through fifth hour and resource. I walk home and this time, I have no defense against Bruce and his gang. I sprint to the woods and go to my secret hide out. Bruce is sitting right there waiting for me. He takes me and throws me in the woods and walks away. I have scrapes all over my arms and legs and a huge bruise right on my rib cage. I run, though it is painful, all the way home for I know Bruce doesn't go away for long. I make it home and think, why am I on the earth, for there is no reason for me to be alive in this tough world that I might call home.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this piece. I like how you put this into a format that everyone can relate to. Since I'm sure that everyone has had doubt before. I could picture this story clearly in my head and it kept my attention. I really enjoyed this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you made this irony or tradgedy successful without totally placing it on some obscure location. You made it easy to relate to by putting it in a middle school, and you did a great job of making it seem like a hopeless world with all the beatings, etc. Gernie Illinois and Woodland Middle School sound familiar to me, I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Blog

Click here to go to my poetry blog.

Regular Blog

Click here to go to my regular blog.